MISSION AND OBJECTIVES
The American Turkish Friendship Council (ATFC) was founded as a Not-for-Profit 501(c) (3) organization in 2005 by Mona Diamond, Turkish Honorary Consul General of Georgia. The ATFC is committed to building relationships and mutual understanding between the citizens of the United States and The Republic of Turkey.
The American Turkish Friendship Council’s mission is to promote and expand educational, economic, and humanitarian relationships between the United States and the Republic of Turkey.
Our primary objectives are:
- Increase cultural awareness and knowledge
- Facilitate business connections
- Support humanitarian efforts
American Turkish Friendship Council
Board of Trustees
- Chairman - The Honorable Mona Tekin Diamond, Turkish Honorary Consul General for Georgia, Atlanta
- President – Doğan Eroğlu, PhD, Associate Director, Marketing & Communication Science for the National Center of Health, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Atlanta
- Vice President – Sinan Altun, Chairman, MEKASSA Inc, Istanbul
- Co-Treasurer – Gizem Köksal-Yahi, Lawyer, Atlanta
- Co-Treasurer – Erdal Tekin, PhD, Professor, Department of Economics, Georgia State University, Atlanta
- Secretary – Arzu Göçmen-Özyazgan – Marketing and Public Relations Specialist, Atlanta
Oğuz Aydemir, PhD – Chairman, Underwater Archeology, Turkish Foundation, Istanbul
Çiğdem Delano – Chief Information Officer, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta
Pınar Eczacıbaşı – President, GYIAD and Senior Advisor, Schroder & Co. Banque SA, Istanbul
Dawn Ely - Founder and President, Palladium Legal Services, Atlanta
Melih Fereli – Consultant, Istanbul
Mine Haşhaş-Değertekin, PhD – Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, Southern Polytechnic University, Atlanta
Feryal Hendricks – Assistant Director, The Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), Georgia State University, Atlanta
Carl Holladay, PhD – Charles Howard Candler Professor, Emory University, Atlant
Muhtar Kent – Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, The Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta
Ömer Koç – Member of the Board of Directors, Koc Holding, Istanbul
Dr. Ömer Küçük – Professor of Medicine, Chief of Genitourinary, Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, Atlanta
Arzu Küpçüoğlu-Wiest – Senior Business & Systems Analyst, North America Finance, The Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta
Yasmina Lokmanoğlu – Elected Commissioner, Mersin Akdeniz Municipality, Mersin
Cemal Özgörkey – Chairman, ETAP Industry & Investment Holding, Istanbul
Catherine Ross, PhD – Director, Center for Quality Growth & Regional Development, Georgia Tech, Atlanta
Holli Semetko, PhD – Vice Provost & Director, The Halle Institute, Emory University, Atlanta
Uğur Terzioğlu – Chairman, Turkish American Business Association, Istanbul
Jonathan Welch – English Teacher, Atlanta
Tolbert Yılmaz – President, Eurotard Dance Fashions, Atlanta
- In 2009, co-sponsored with Women Entrepreneurs Association of Turkey (KAGIDER) to conduct the inaugural International Women’s Entrepreneurship Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The Summit achieved its objective to bring together over 300 women leaders and entrepreneurs from all over the world to network and share valuable information. The ATFC, successfully coordinated the U.S. side to bring U.S. based speakers including Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues and to have a video recording from the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who has expressed her enthusiasm and appreciation for inaugurating such a rewarding event to promote women’s empowerment.
- Launched and endowed the Turkish Lecture Series at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. Since 2005, the newly endowed Turkish Lecture Series has partnered with The Claus M. Halle Institute for Global Learning at Emory University to organize and manage events, invitations, and publicity.
- In 2009, funded a project with MedShare International to send $200.000 worth of medical equipment and supplies to Kızılay (Turkish Red Crescent) in Turkey.
- Hosted the Fulbright dinner reception, which enables the Fulbright Community to celebrate and share their endeavors and serves as a farewell party Fulbright students returning to their home country. During the event, the culture and the history of the host country is presented and promoted to the guests. The Dinner was graciously sponsored by Mehmet Samsar, the Turkish Consul General, NY.
- Provided Turkish Language Classes at Georgia State University with the financial help of the Consul General’s Office in New York. As of 2011, 122 students have benefited from these classes.
- Hosted the Atlantic Council of the United States’s Young Turkey/Young America Participants. This program has been initiated by the Atlantic Council in partnership with the Istanbul Policy Center at Sabancı University-Turkey and has been sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. The program aims to administer an exchange program designed to connect and build constructive relationships between future leaders from the United States and Turkey: the Young Turkey/Young America: A New Relationship for a New Age. In 2011, the program has been funded by the US Embassy in Ankara.
- Coordinated with other donors to provide scholarships to 19 students in Turkey through ÇATOM (Multipurpose Community Centers).
- Through ÇATOM provided school supplies to 500 students and coats to 100 students in 14 villages of Mardin, Turkey; supported the library in Siverek- Şanlıurfa and Mardin “Reading Rooms” to send books, stationary items and clothing for children who benefit from the library, in addition a heater and 2 computers were sent to Mardin; provided school supplies to 220 students in Şırnak; and provided a sound system to an elementary school in Şanlıurfa, Turkey.
- Co-Hosted the Congressman John Lewis – Multicultural Festival, an annual event started in 2005 to promote foreign cultures and countries, including Turkey, to the Atlanta Community.
- In 2007, in collaboration with Turkish Cultural Foundation and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey, ATFC presented an exhibition by a distinguished Turkish painter; Yalçın Gökçebağ, at Mason Murer Art Gallery of Atlanta.
- Participated at the “Winter Wonderland: Celebrations and Traditions Around the World” exhibit at the Fernbank Museum, Atlanta Georgia to promote Turkey, the rich Turkish culture and its traditional handcrafts.
For more information please visit www.theatfc.org